Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Meet the New Rox

Same as the old Rox.

Coming into September 6 games back, and the team may be catching fire once again. Of course, our record is about seven games worse than it was this time last year, but then, so are the records of the teams ahead of us in the division. Being able to soulcrush Tim Lincecum helped.

Anyway, it's been a very poker-lite week for me. Skipped the bloggerments for my anniversary, and was more than happy to do so.

One drawback of having pulled most of my roll off Bodog is that I'm playing at much lower limits, such that when I managed to take 4th place in a $2R MTT last weekend, it was only good for $30. Talk about playing small ball. My poker weekend consisted of winning a $4 SNG for a $12 score, the $2R MTT, and finishing up 20 big blinds at a cash table that was....drumroll......05/.10. Ha! At these levels, I can't even really get interested in hand analysis, as I'm a firm believer that most online donks don't actually put much thought into how they play buy-ins this small, such that the idea of making plays is lost on your opponents, for the most part. Just stick with solid TAG, saute with a few well-timed blind steals, and you'll do okay long term.

But that's okay, we can rebuild him, we have the technology.

Since then, all I've played is a pair of the superturbo chippies at Full Tilt, where I went out 3rd and 5th, respectively, for one mincash. Of course, when I went out 3rd, it was to a river 2-outer, but at these levels, I no longer care. It's pennant chase season!!

In fact, how can you tell your wife loves you as much as you love her? When she gives you a Jeff Francis-autographed ball for your anniversary.

In fact, I gotta start finding more topics to blog about, simply because I'm not playing a lot of poker these days. That's really just a phase, as my loves of baseball and music are taking center stage lately, and that's fine. It's allowed me to let the bad beats that still come, totally slide off my back now. This is one of those times when poker just isn't that important.

Monolith is coming up in a couple weeks, and while I'm still excited, I have to admit I'm not nearly as jazzed about my VIP passes now that Neko Case and The Black Angels no longer appear on the schedule. Those were the two artists I most wanted to see.

Still, Monolith is a great place to find some of what's likely to be the most interesting music of 2008-2009, and I'm really looking forward to seeing White Denim, Superdrag, Blitzen Trapper, and many more. Just not nearly as over the top excited.

Nevertheless, the weather's gorgeous here, and I've got a club-level seat for our sweep game against the Giants today, as Aaron Cook is about to lead us to a pounding over Barry Zito. I can't believe we haven't been fortunate enough to face Zito yet this year, as he's become as hittable as...well...as Leeeeeevan Hernandez. Bring your own broom!

Update: That game was fuckin' weaksauce. Still a nice day at the ballpark, but thanks for making Barry Zito look like CC Sabathia, boys.

No comments: