Friday, June 29, 2007

Poker players aren't the only ones running bad...

Okay, so I finally start blogging again, and what do my Rox do? Lose seven fonkey-ing games in a row, all on the road, including not one...not two...but THREE effin' blown saves by Brian Fuentes, who was well on his way to another All Star Game appearance before he decided to become 2007's version of Mitch Williams. Eeshk.

Anyway, had to bitch and moan to someone. Not looking so positive at our club level seats for the Mets game on Monday now. Even if the brats are sick good.

On to poker -- it's been a fairly quiet week. I haven't really played any tourneys, since the Good Doctor Mondo hasn't been working real late, and I've been wanting to spend some time with her. But I have gotten in around 400 hands of 2-7 Triple Draw over on Stars, which I got into after the dealer's choice home game I played last weekend, where every 4th or 5th hand was either 2-7 Triple Draw or Badugi. (Aside...Badugi is hella fun, though it sucks having 2nd nuts on final hand of the night, to get run down by the nuts...ack.)

350-400 hands is hardly a huge sample size, but in this rather limited experience, I've learned a couple of things. The play at .50-1 limit is terribly soft. Rough eights, and even some nines were worth standing pat in position from the initial deal. Folks take 2-3 cards on the first two draws, and you bet out every time, most would let it go. Got up about three buy ins at that level, but took a single shot at 1-2, and found it much different. Gave up nearly two full buy ins there, because every 7-6 or 8-5 was beat by a 7-5. At any rate, it was fun, though 2-7 TD still seems more like a game of just trying to outdraw. But my ROI seems to be better there than in micro limit NLHE, so if it can fund a few MTT buy-ins, then I say what the hell.

Not much more to add today -- no fun screenies or hand histories. But it looks like I'm going up to Blackhawk for the $70/7,000 chip tourney on Sunday. It'll be my first crack at this particular tournament, which is clearly one of the best values in Blackhawk, in that it offers quite a bit more play than nearly any other tournament there. I believe the levels are still only 20 minutes (30 would be awesome), but the blind structure is the same as in the $30, $40, $50, etc buy-ins there. And if there's one thing I've learned, it's that I like deeper stack poker.

I wish for many large pots for all of you this weekend, and that the current road trip doesn't end 0-10...

4 comments:

Dave said...

I too cringe everytime I watch da Rockies. They were doing so well in most of those games only to blow lead after lead. Sigh. Too early to say "wait til next year"?

Mondogarage said...

Gosh, I hope it's too early. I mean, let's give Fuentes credit. This is really the first blowup week he's ever had in his career, and even Mariano Rivera blew like three in a row early this year -- but he's got to get himself straight.

coryburton said...

What happened to calling me so we could go up the hill? Ya donk!

Mondogarage said...

Hahah...sorry Cory, I thought you and the missus were out of town. Especially as me and my missus haven't been around ye olde stomping grounds for a bit.

Anyway, I'll have to blog the trip, but I did not come home winning any mad mobnies.

I probably won't do the hill again this month, becuase I'm running so bad, but I'd really like us to make a run at the $300 deep stack next month. Dennis Abbey was up there -- the dude's on fire lately, about $13k in tourney wins during June...just sick.